Probably one of the more exciting things that happened this week was whenever I got to change flavours in cough sweets. I have been rather bogged down by a sore throat/lost voice all week, so sounding like Kathleen Turner (how cool) but punctuated by hacking cough (how not cool) and feeling a bit peeved by it all and with only myself to blame (as I went out with a cold, came home with no voice). I did manage to refocus the sewing, and finish this red coat .
Its probably my longest sewing project as it was done over the course of 6 or 7 weeks, and yet it only really took 2 or 3 days. The coat is a divine cherry red wool, in an 80s cut, and the buttons were of the same ilk (and just look plain old tacky). So I took it apart, brushed it and steamed it and rested it for a few days before the cut. The lining was in good condition so I took a chance and put it aside to reuse. I used the same self drafted pattern I used on last years coat, and decided to cut front from front etc, and reuse both the pockets and the buttonholes (as there was not enough fabric to redo the buttonholes) and in all this seemed all like a good idea and both the coat and lining were sewn up in a day, over a month ago…… and left there. After making it up, I decided I was not sure about the darts (I have since relented and like them but would omit/change them if I was using this cocoon-style coat pattern again), and then I dithered on how best to finish (there is no best way, the only way is to get on with it).
In truth, the only delay was finding better buttons, and I ended up using ones that came from the button box that are a dark metal. They are the right size and seem to work well. So then it was trying to tweak the already attached front facing into joining the rest. I cut the back facing from the left over scrap and also made the sleeves longer but adding a deep cuff, I thought I wanted the coat shorter, but preferred it a bit longer when I had it near done, so I added bias binding to the hem to maximise the length. I left the wool label in place…..but don’t think I will ever ever reuse those gold buttons…..
Finishing took a day, and I was rather pleased. So I steamed it and clamped it and broke the Ann Ladbury rule (of resting coats overnight on hanger or manequin after making and pressing) and wore it straight away.