While I have been sewing for years, that doesn’t mean it been anyway consistent, or even improving, if anything, in the in-between times when I was no longer sewing regularly or our of necessity, I had gotten worse, and this fabric was a case in point. I picked it up some years ago on a whim thinking I would just whip up a tunic and I cut it slightly off grain on one side (slippy fabric) as well as a less than perfect choice of lining (I cut the lining off a skirt and inserted it……. and only wore it once or twice as it was so badly made
So last year, I unpicked it and starched it, and couldn’t figure what to make, so I put it to one side of a while. Two weeks ago, I had a particularly rotten day at work (which to be fair never happens as I only work part time and with nice people) and came home grumpy and decided I needed a treat and got this pattern on a whim ignoring the postage costs vs pattern costs……I am glad I did as it was a quick sew, and a fun piece and while I could have drafted it, there is something nice about being given all the steps and tested pattern, and I am shallow enough to be easily swayed by those cute illustrations.
Recutting was a bit of a squeeze and I used pen to mark out (naughty). Recutting also showed up the original bad cut. I lined it this time in a fine cotton (its like handkerchief fabric) from the TWI remnant bin and it was perfect as it has woven lines which helped in keeping the hem even. No facings as the lining does that, the ties are threaded through the top and the bottom is elasticated. This top would also work well for vintage scarves I think. I had hoped the pen marks would not be visible after laundering but no such luck…. but I am sure they will go in time!
A very quick sew, and very pleased with top (another style I usually don’t wear), and I have always loved the print on this fabric, and some good came from having a rotten day at work!
Action shots are by number one photographer and roller blade buddy Catriona….