I got this sweater at the euro rail – its one of the few things I bought in a charity shop this year. I am trying to get through what I have here – but I seem to make an exception for the euro rail – I often think these are the ‘no hope-ers’ and bound for landfill. I love this colour, the fabric is cotton knit/ jersey. The sweater colour is uneven due to wear and laundry, but to me this was part of the appeal as the colour now looked slightly textured,
For the remake, I used the Astoria pattern. It was all straight forward. I added 5 inches to the length, and made the sleeves as long as I could. I sewed it using the overcast stitch on the ‘new’ machine. (so handy)
|Cutting Sleeve – I use bulldog clips to keep the two layers together, and it stops the fabric rolling back in.|
I was unsure about the neck finish, and luckily I had some of the same shade in yarn, left
over from a previous project! (its a colour I like). I turned the edges and machine basted them, and blanket stitched them. The trim is a mix of double and treble (uk) stitches.
Love how it turned out -I cannot believe how quick and easy these types of sweater remakes are, (and the corresponding amount of sweaters on the men’s rail in charity shops). I have a few more sweaters to remake soon, but I am hoping to try a few different finishes, like embroidered hems and embroidered embellishments….